Help. We all love to give it to others and we all need it from each other. It makes us feel good when he can show someone we are not worthless but a lot of the time we have to swallow our pride because we aren't strong enough to go it alone. I saw a lot of that today, how people needed other people, to give or receive assistance.
For instance, one of my friends is dealing with some personal problems at the moment and he really appreciated me just listening. I didn't really have any advice except to tell him that what he was doing was the right thing and somehow I know (or hope) that I did some good for him by giving him the encouragement and a little faith. We all need each other when it comes to our own problems, even if we don't like to admit it.
I had my own "problem" today. My friends and I were tossing a football around and me, being the clumsy klutz that I am, couldn't not throw the football very well at first. So one of my friends came over and showed me exactly the proper technique. Even though I was a little embarrassed that suddenly I couldn't throw and it didn't work at first, she really helped me out. As we kept going I slowly improved on my throwing and she didn't feel the need to give me any more pointers. Sure, I still through a couple of wonky passes, but overall it was like how I used to be. But the important part was the way she, and a couple of my other friends almost jumped at the opportunity to show me how to do it. While helping me, they got to show that they are good at something and are even good enough to make others better.
I think we all depend on each other in two ways. We either need real help and encouragement, or we need a little boost in our own self-esteem to keep us going. There are two sides to every "Lean on Me" situation and surprisingly, they both sort of work the same. Same effects at least. We feel better about ourselves in a good, friendly, confidence-boosting kind of way. That's what help is about, right? We improve and understand that what we are doing is right. So I guess what I am trying to say is, that when you help someone, you help yourself as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment