Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Yesterday Once More

The title has multiple significations.  For one, it makes me think of Karen Carpenter, the singer for the Carpenters who wrote that song.  She was a great drummer, the best female drummer that I know of.  Of course I don't know that many, but the point is that she had multiple talents.  Her brother loved her voice so much though that he got her to be singer instead and she was great at that as well.  However, it makes me think.  She didn't get to what she loved most which was drum.  Was it a gender thing?  Perhaps, but it shows me that we mustn't let anybody tell us what to do if we don't want to do it or we'll regret it.

Also, if you'll listen to the song for me (perhaps I should have put this at the top) you'll notice it talks about how songs from when we were younger can bring back the good or bad memories of that time.  And the song has an almost yearning to go back to that time.  I find a lot of us wish we could have more time.  Whether we want to go back and redo something, or we need a couple more hours to finish our homework, going back to yesterday is something a lot of people wish for.  Another thing a lot of people wish for is to be younger.  Not to get rid of the wrinkles, but to enjoy our time more at that age doing those "age-appropriate" activities.  Kids want to grow up, anybody old enough to have homework or real work wants to be younger, because life just gets harder and you don't realize it until the moment's passed.  However, I am sure there are lots of better times for everybody in their future as well.  Life isn't always between a rock and a hard place.  We just never wish we could be at that specific point in time because we are afraid of the unknown.  So we may wishfully think of the time when school is done or we retire, but not truly because everybody tells us how much harder it gets.

In truth, everybody only thinks that the current moment they are in is bad (if it's dull or hard) or average (if it's great).  We are always looking for better because we believe it is possible.  And it is, but you have to get through the hard stuff to find the good.  It's like listening through a load of commercials on the radio until that one song that is your favourite starts to play.  Then it is all better.

Or, as another example, it is like writing (or reading in most people's case) all of this blog post, hoping that at the end some good will come of it.  I am not even sure if I found a point to all of this.  Perhaps I should have ended long ago, quit while I was behind.  But I kept going, looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  A rainbow of confusing thoughts.  And a pot of no more cliches.  A pot of actual original, insightful thoughts from my fingertips.  Did that happen?  I don't know.  Should I wish I could go back in time and write it all over again?  No, if it was that bad I would use the backspace button, but I like it just the way it is.  Somehow my questioning of whether I have a point proves my point, I think, and I really wanted to talk about Karen Carpenter because that song is one of my all-time favourites.  So, purpose somewhat achieved and hooray for living in the moment as I type this.

No comments:

Post a Comment