People assume things will happen a certain way. All the time. One hundred percent guarantee that when you think about your future you go through the possibilities, weigh the pros and cons, decide which seems the most probable outcome, and determine which path you will attempt to direct your future down. But rarely does everything go as planned.
I see classmates complaining because they didn't do well on a test after they studied so hard, and parents become worrisome over their children when they tried to raise them "the right way". Even the telephone was a mistake, a course not chosen by its maker.
I often find that what people expect most of me, is that when we no longer see each other face to face, we "will still keep in touch". That never happens. I can't text someone, or e-mail them when I don't see them. We no longer have anything to talk about if we no longer share common experiences in our everyday lives.
What I expected of myself is that when I finally disciplined myself to keep the homework done, I would feel happy and free. But having a mind and the time for it to wander aimlessly is a much worse burden than using it to teach itself something useful. It is scary to think, but I sometimes wish I had more school work. I know! What am I thinking?
Disappointment is the result. Even if you try the whole "expect the worse and hope for the best", when you have the time to think you have the time to dream and in time your dreams will be crushed. Don't get me wrong, good fortune comes to everyone who tries their best in the end. But it's the times before, when you stop and think, and expect what is to come, that you realize you can't make your own fate, and you can't guess it either.
No comments:
Post a Comment