Today, my school participated in the annual Terry Fox Run/Walk for Cancer. It was nice. I got some exercise and I had a lot of fun, and of course, we were supposed to be doing it to raise money to promote cancer research. But I was thinking today, later on, is that really what we should be running for?
Sure it's a great cause and all, but are the sick the ones we should be the most worried about? There are those with injuries beyond repair, those starving, and those who are oppressed by power and corruption. Worse than that, there are those with nobody to love, those with mental illnesses that create a world far worse than the ever real world of cancer. We could be running for them. All of them.
And even more so than all of this, we should run for the ones we ourselves love. Maybe it is somebody you love who has cancer. Nobody would care if people died from cancer if the victims weren't loved by somebody who is still alive. But we should be running for, and to especially, the ones who need us personally. The ones we want to be with, and the ones we want to heal with our own care.
One day, supposedly all the world's problems will be fixed with money. But it is the problems that I can help with in an instant, and the people I can be with right now, that I care about the most. Here is where I can do the most good for myself and those around me. And now is when I can do it.
That's the way I like it, and that is the way I wish it could be for everything. So good for you Terry, and all your supporters, maybe one day I'll do something similar, yet different. All I need is to find a way to do good without the money. Of course the media won't care about it without the money, so the Terry Fox run will still be more famous than me. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment